Recipe: Tastes-Like-Ice-Cream Kale Smoothie from Tess Masters
Summary: This sweet green kale smoothie by The Blender Girl is fashioned after one served at SunCafe, a Los Angeles raw restaurant.
- ½ cup (120ml) water (or use coconut water)
- ½ teaspoon probiotic powder (optional)
- ½ cup (70g) unsalted cashews, soaked
- 1 cup (25g) torn curly green kale leaves (1 or 2 large leaves with stalk removed, ripped into small pieces), plus more to taste
- 2 ripe bananas, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup (43g) chopped pitted dates, soaked, or 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) ice cubes (a bit less if using frozen bananas)
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger, plus more to taste (optional)
- Put all of the ingredients into the blender in the order listed and puree for about a minute, until smooth and creamy. Tweak flavors to taste (you may like a bit more kale, sweetener or ginger).
With a conventional blender, you’ll get the smoothest consistency if you use maple syrup or chop the dates finely before adding them to the blender.